Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My thoughts about Governor Palin's resignation

Briefly:

I don’t think Gov.Palin’s decision to resign had anything -whatsoever- to do with any strategic maneuvering. Given the lessons gleaned from the Perot's failed campaign in 92' (i.e. as much as folks may like you, they dislike 'quitters' more), I fail to see the strategic value of such. Sadly, I don't see this as another case of a mere quitter doing what quitters do. Palin appears to have succumb to circumstances beyond her ability to handle despite any pitbull tenacity she may or may not possess intrinsically. I think she was well on her way to succumbing one way or the other and this way was the best for her family...

Many of us are well aware that she came to office much to the chagrin of powerful political enemies in Alaska (i.e. railing against and exposing corruption), getting the GOP vp only earned a more enemies (and fans but definitely more enemies), and at the end of the day her pockets aren’t nearly deep enough to keep up. I don’t see how it wold be possible for her to remain the Governor Alaskans voted for and loved while continuing to fight off the ethics charges, and not see her family come to total financial ruin. Her and Todd spending 500k of their own money -so far- when they only grossed 166k last year and less before that is clearly untenable. No grand mystery here...

Do I think she’ll run in 2012? I’d like to think that she could, but if she doesn’t make friends with a few billionaires I don’t think she should. She really could end up bankrupt IF she’s not already there…

3 comments:

Buster said...

Netlosh,

RE:I fail to see the strategic value of such.

Simple.

http://rightamerican.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/yet-another-ethics-charge-against-palin/

and

http://rightamerican.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/how-to-unelect-a-governor/

In brief, she could no longer afford to be governor. The way Alaska law is written, she had to use personal finances to mount a legal defense. With book deals in the wings which she could not pursue while governor, again on legal grounds, she had little choice but to quit.

PS - I used to be on blogspot. I migrated my blogs (3) to wordpress without problems. Painless.

Buster said...

RE:Do I think she’ll run in 2012? I’d like to think that she could..

I for one, hope she remains quiet.

Although I was first excited by McCain's choice I now believe having Palin on the GOP ticket would only fire up the left and launch an emotionally driven and shrill tirade which would be devoid of any facts worthy of discussion.

The press would have a field day, the jokes would fly, SNL would have to bring back what's-her-name, Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann wouldn't shut up about her and the election would be lost.

Netlosh said...

Buster,

In brief, she could no longer afford to be governor.

Yep, this is the point of my second paragraph...

Although I was first excited by McCain's choice I now believe having Palin on the GOP ticket would only fire up the left and launch an emotionally driven and shrill tirade which would be devoid of any facts worthy of discussion.

As if they aren't going to do that regardless of who's running against PBO!!! If she gets past the primaries she'll have my vote hands down. I've looked at her record as both a Mayor and a Governor (as short as it was), I LOVE how it was someone 'like her' came to power in the first place, I REALLY likes how she does her job, her values reflect my own, and I don't blame her for her daughter getting pregnant. Hopefully she learned something from signing any ethics laws which unethical people can use to send her family to the poor house... :-)

We're getting ahead of ourselves though... Its far too early for this type of talk... I'll look into the wordpress thing, thanks...